Surya means the Sun and according to Yoga the Surya Nadi is the right nostril. In this pranayama, you use your right nostril or Pingala for inhalation and the left or Ida one for exhalation.
Basic purpose of the right nostril breathing is to increase the pranic energy, physical energy and to revitalize the body. It boosts the nervous system, especially the sympathetic nervous system and also increases the efficiency of digestive system Right nostril is Pingala Nadi, which represents physical energy of body. Breathing through right nostril is important for many important metabolic processes.
There are many reason to do Surya Bhedana (Right Nostril Breathing) pranayama. By praticing few rounds of Surya Bhedana pranayama each day for few minutes can help us to control our conscious to some extent.
In the yoga text Hath yoga the breathe is compared to wild animal. Just like elephants, lions and tigers are controlled by those who are trained and do practice, in the same way a yogi also brings the breathe under his control with constant practice only. By constant practice of this we can loose our weight, reduce stress, restore imbalance in brain, improve sleep, calm our emotions, boost our thinking and glow like a Yogi.
Benefits of Surya Bhedana Pranayama (Right Nostril Breathing):
1. Surya Bhedana Pranayama activates the body and the bodily functions.
2. The digestive fire is increased by this pranayama.
3. It destroys all diseases that are caused by insufficiency of oxygen in the blood.
4. The Hath Yoga says that Surya Bhedana Pranayama cleans the frontal sinuses, destroys disorders of Vata and destroys intestinal worms.
5. Activates and stimulates the pranic energy by energizing the Pingala Nadi.
6. Helps alleviate dullness, lethargy and depression.
7. Brings fresh energy to the body so one can perform physical activities more efficiently.
8. Useful in treating low blood pressure and infertility in women.
9. It increases the body temperature, thus removing the Kafa (mucus) imbalance. This is very effective in obesity. Regular practice of right nostril breath is helpful in weight loss.
10. Very effective for stress management.
11. Helps reducing anxiety, depression and other mental illnesses.
12. Balancing Ida and Pingala removes all the blockages in the pranic energy channels, which may lead to spiritual awakenings.
13. It gives all the benefits of deep breathing as well.
Precautions Surya Bhedana Pranayama (Right Nostril Breathing):
1. Surya Bhedana pranayama should be practiced on an empty stomach.
2. All the inhalations should be done through the right nostril and exhalations through the left.
3. It should be done in the morning or evening or both. If you don’t have the time in morning or evening, you can do it at your own convenience.
4. Make sure that you practice Surya Bhedana pranayama 4–5 hours after having your food.
5. Inhalation and exhalation should be in the ratio of 1:2.
6. If you feel even a little bit of discomfort then you can reduce the ratio of breathing.
7. People suffering from heart disease, high blood pressure or epilepsy should avoid this pranayam.
8. People who have undergone brain surgeries, heart surgeries or abdominal surgeries should consult the medical expert or consultant before doing this pranayam.
9. This pranayama increases the heat of your body so it should be avoided if suffering from fever.