Sarpagandha (Rauvolfia serpentina)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Sarpagandha
Sarpagandha is a flowering plant native to the Indian Subcontinent and East Asia. The plant is now considered as an endangered species and the export of which is banned from India. It usually grows in shady forests. The herb is known to cure numerous disorders due to its constituents like carbohydrates, alkaloids, flavonoids, glycosides, phlobatannins, phenols, resins, tannins, saponins and terpenes.
The plant has great mentions its history, which was used as a tranquilizer, cure arrow poisoning, treating insect stings and treating bites of venomous reptiles. The herb is also used in treating high blood pressure and mental disorders. The herb is known to relieve mental tensions, cleanses the body and purifies the mind. Sarpagandha is bitter, dry, and has hot potency. It has sleep inducing properties and balances vata and kapha doshas in the body. The root of Sarpagandha is used in medicines.
Properties of Sarpagandha:
Medicinal uses of Sarpagandha:
- The herb is useful in treating worm infestation and infections.
- It can quickly heal wounds, inflammation and infections.
- Sarpagandha is very useful in treating chronic recurrent fever.
- It has excellent anti-toxic properties which are extremely useful in treating insect bites, scorpion bite, snake bite, rodent bites, etc.
- The root is known for its sleep inducing property which clams the mind, relieves stress and anxiety. It is also used in treating schizophrenia.
- Used in reducing high blood pressures, treating epilepsy and panic attacks.
- The herb can induce menstruation by contracting uterus.
- Used in treating sexual problems in men as it suppresses premature ejaculation.
- The juice of Sarpagandha leaves is applied externally on, eyes to treat corneal opacity.
- The intake of Sarpagandha helps to treat insomnia.
- It is also used in treating gastrointestinal difficulties such as anorexia, dyspepsia, worm infestation and abdominal pain.
The herb has numerous side effects if not administered properly in required dosages. Hence, proper medical supervision is needed to use this herb.